The Tranzac is a non-profit member supported community organization with a focus on promoting arts, music and theatre. The TRANZAC (an abbreviation of Toronto Australia New Zealand Club) also works to promote and support Australian and New Zealand culture in Toronto.
The Tranzac is open to the public and is home to music and community theatre most nights of the week in our intimate Southern Cross Lounge and our larger Main Hall both with bar service. The Main Hall features a curtained stage and a professional sound system. The smaller Tiki room is available for meetings, performances, poetry readings and other intimate events. The public may rent our club facilities – recently our Main Hall has been packed for music festivals, film festivals, plays, book launchs, CD launches and other concerts and as well as private events such as parties, Bar Mitzvahs, and craft shows.
As a community member based organization the Tranzac relies upon the support of dedicated volunteers to remain active and operational. We encourage you to contact us become part of the Tranzac community, as a member or a volunteer in one of Toronto’s most vibrant and exciting cultural spaces.
TRANZAC is the abbreviation of the Toronto Austalia New Zealand Club. Its roots date back to the year 1931, when a small group of Australians and New Zealanders met in the Bay Street (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) offices of J.W. Collins, the New Zealand Trade Commissioner.
Like so many newcomers to Canada, the group wanted to retain a part of their national identity and they formed a group primarily to welcome other Australian and New Zealand newcomers and to help meet the needs of their fellow countrymen by providing social activities, fostering fellowship and goodwill and promoting a better understanding of Canada.
In December 1950, a formal meeting of the group at the King Edward Hotel resulted in the official birth of an Australian New Zealand Club in Toronto. By 1964 the membership had increased to 260 and official club premises were rented on Sherbourne Street.
In 1966 the club was incorporated under the name TRANZAC and the hard working and enthusiastic committee set about working toward securing its own permanent premises. Membership and activities increased and the club moved from establishment to establishment to accommodate members and their friends. Finally, in 1971 all the hard work of the committees and support of the members became a reality and the club was in a position financially to obtain its own premises. TRANZAC moved to its present location at 292 Brunswick Avenue in October 1971.
Over time the club formed alliances with a number of “official” subgroups, starting with the Nomads Rugby Club and the Friends of Fiddlers Green folk music club. At present our subgroups include Flying Cloud Folk Club, NAGs and Irish music and dance. The NAGs (Nomads Acting Group), beginning their 27th season in the fall of 2002, regularly stage plays and pantomimes at the Tranzac. The Chris Langan Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann begin meeting at the Tranzac in 1979 and still has music lessons and the annual Chris Langan Traditional Music Weekend each winter at the Tranzac.
The Tranzac is open to the general public and currently presents no-cover music Monday through Thursday evenings in our friendly Southern Cross Lounge. Concerts and plays are presented by our subgroups in the Main Hall. The public may rent our club facilities – recently our Main Hall has been packed for music festivals, film festivals, plays, a book launch, CD launches and other concerts and private parties.
To inquire about all rentals or bookings in either the Main Hall, Tiki Room, or Southern Cross Lounge, email email@example.com, and please specify the date(s) you are interested in.
For all other inquiries call (416) 923-8137 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.